title="Charlton Marshall Parish Council in Dorset">Site A-Z  

Charlton Marshall Village HistoryTue, 20th November 2018

Charlton Marshall Village History

«  Go back to previous page...

1789: The Newfoundland Connection

Two families in Charlton Marshall are known to have had connections with Newfoundland.

The Whites, a prominent Quaker family, were merchants and traders in Poole. Samuel White built Charlton House in about 1810 and shared the title of Lord of the Manor of Charlton Marshall with Thomas Horlock Bastard the elder. In his will Samuel left 1/- per week for the Sunday school which was run for the education of the children of the poor of the parish. His nephew Samuel White who owned the house after him, gave to the Rector and Church Wardens in 1847, land for a school, and what we know today as the Church Room was built on it. It was used as a school for about 50 years until educational needs changed and has served many useful purposes since.

The Streets were a local family who first appear in the records in 1717. They were manual workers and craftsmen and were often employed to repair the church clock or the gates. In 1768 William Street is described in a property deed as a wheelwright. William was one of six recorded children of Mark and Mary. The youngest was Thomas who went to sea and eventually became one of the White’s agents in Newfoundland – a very responsible position. Thomas benefited hugely from his relationship with the Whites and in 1789 set up his own firm Thomas White and Sons. At the same time he settled in Poole with his family, leaving the sons to deal with the Newfoundland end of the business. Thomas bought property in Charlton Marshall including a house; I’d dearly love to know where that was, so if anybody has copies of old deeds please see if the names Street or Clark, or the property known as Hurdles, features anywhere in them. Thomas died in 1805 and his widow Christian lived in the house until her death in 1816. There is a plaque on the north wall of the church recording Thomas and Christian. The Street family graves are the two grade 2 listed table tombs on the right of the church path, together with a slab and a headstone beside them.

«  Go back to previous page...